Obsessions: The Reimagined Battlestar Galactica


Here in the Pratt-Cave I have lots of time to dwell on my favorite obsessions. Every now and again I'll blog about a particular one. Today's obsession is the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica

When Star Wars exploded on the silver screen back in 1977 it changed movie history, made science fiction "cool" and kicked off a never ending string of would-be's and knock offs in both film and television.

I suppose the most famous Star Wars Knockoff of all time would have to be the original Battlestar Galactica that premiered on ABC television in 1978. Glen Larson, the series creator has vehemently denied BSGs knockoff status over the years but to most people the similarities are glaring. In anycase, in 1978 I was completely dazzled by the show...just like a zillion other nine year olds. At the time, it was the most expensive show ever produced. I really didn't care about the plot. I was mostly enraptured by the space combat and laser battles and robots.

The show lasted one season and tanked...but like many other cult classics it didn't fade away. BSG came and went in syndication. A few years later when I was in my teens I caught the show again and although I enjoyed watching it from time to time when nothing else was on, it had lost a lot of its luster.

Ten or eleven years ago I peeked in on Battlestar Galactica again and I could barely make myself sit through an episode. Wretched is the first descriptive word that pops into my head.

Then in 2003 I started hearing rumblings of a "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica. Oh, what the hell???? I thought that was the stupidest idea I'd ever heard. Just what we need to see-capes and lasers again. I heard rumors that things wWould be changed-like Starbuck would be a woman instead of a man. Cylons would look like humans. The tone of the show would be dark and much more gritty than the original.

When the mini-series debuted on scifi channel I couldn't help myself. I set my vcr and recorded it. I thought it was going to be just like a train wreck or a car wreck...I just couldn't help but crane my neck and stare at the carnage as I passed by.

When the miniseries was over I was breathless...and not from laughter! I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. The show was AWESOME! It was exciting, it WAS dark and gritty...and realistic. Yes, it had lasers and robots and spaceships-but those were in the background supporting the true star of the show which was, surprisingly, human drama.

BSG pulled a "star trek" and took today's headlines and put them in a sci fi context. It was very captivating for its entire 4 season run.

I don't want to talk about the plot and the characters, that's not what this is about. I would encourage anyone who hasn't seen the show but feel that it would be stupid because of its brand name to reconsider! You won't be disappointed.

BSG is one of my top all-time favorite shows. I have all of the seasons on dvd and I regularly revisit the show. Over and over again!

posted under |

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Doing a remake is like taking the leftovers from yesterday's supper and try to make it into a decent lunch. Problem is that sometimes you end up with something that looks like crap, smells like crap and taste like. . . well you know. However, I do agree that the remake of BSG is one of the rare expections. I only wish I get the Sci-Fi to watch.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

THE PRATT-CAVE

Followers


Recent Comments